Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] New user with Bacula

2014-07-30 10:44:23
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] New user with Bacula
From: Dmitri Maziuk <dmaziuk AT bmrb.wisc DOT edu>
To: bacula-users <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2014 09:42:26 -0500
On 7/30/2014 7:56 AM, Radosław Korzeniewski wrote:

> Could you explain what "NetApp Client" is/will be/could be, please. What
> do you mean by "NetApp Client". I'd like to understand this thread, but
> I'm not an english native speaker so I miss the main point of this thread.

It's not your English, it's NetApp. ;)

Netapp is a completely closed proprietary system with its own
everything: from disk firmware to os. It's "appliance-type" filer and
the os is incompatible with everything including its own major releases.

Their main selling point is working at the level of disk blocks, which
makes for very efficient use of storage space, snapshots, replication, etc.

On second thought, their shiny! deduplicated block-level storage would
probably not transfer to tape very well anyway, so there wouldn't be
much advantage to creating a native netapp client.

Dima