Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] RecycleOldestVolume clarification

2014-07-26 19:52:55
Subject: [Bacula-users] RecycleOldestVolume clarification
From: Joe Rhodes <lists AT joerhodes DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2014 19:49:58 -0400
Hi again!

I’m trying to wrap my head around the option “RecycleOldestVolume=yes”.  I’m
not entirely clear where it would do anything that isn’t all ready part of the
volume recycling algorithm.

The documentation explains the volume search/recycling algorithm, including
this step:

        • Prune volumes applying Volume retention period (Volumes with
VolStatus Full, Used, or Append are pruned). Note, even if all the File and Job
records are pruned from a Volume, the Volume will not be marked Purged until
the Volume retention period expires.

Then in a later step, it says this:

        • Prune the oldest Volume if RecycleOldestVolume=yes (the Volume with
the oldest LastWritten date and VolStatus equal to Full, Recycle, Purged, Used,
or Append is chosen). This record ensures that all retention periods are
properly respected.

Wouldn’t this all ready have been done by the pruning in the  previous step?
If RecycleOldestVolume respects all the volume retention periods, I’m not clear
how it differs from the normal Prune operation that would otherwise happen.

Or am I missing the purpose of this directive?  Perhaps a simple scenario where
it would make a difference?

Thanks!
-Joe Rhodes