Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] ibdata1

2014-07-25 13:15:35
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] ibdata1
From: Richard Fox <rfox AT mbl DOT edu>
To: Ken Mandelberg <km AT mathcs.emory DOT edu>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2014 12:45:50 -0400 (EDT)
Hi,

On Fri, 25 Jul 2014, Ken Mandelberg wrote:

> My ibdata1 file is currently at almost a GB. As far as I know Bacula is
> the only thing using mysql on my workstation. Is this size normal?

I think it can be perfectly normal. As far as I understand it, unless
you're using file-per-table option in MySQL (or MariaDB) then these files
will contain all of the data that is stored using InnoDB table format.

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.6/en/glossary.html#glos_ibdata_file

I have made the mistake of omitting the file-per-table option when I
wanted to use it and recall having to dump the tables, re-initialize the
system, then import the data. I think my ibdata files were up to about 16G
when I noticed the problem.

> I've
> seen generic mysql postings about ibdata1 expanding because of bad
> transactions and the inability to shrink it. I'm not sure how this fits
> in with Bacula.

I'm sorry, I can't comment on this part except I understand that you can't
reclaim the disk space used by these files except for anything but innodb
data. That is, when you free up space by truncating or dropping innodb
tables, it frees up space within these files but only MySQL can use it for
new innodb data. It doesn't change their size on disk.

Bacula can store a lot of data depending on what you're using it on. My
Bacula database (using file-per-table as measured by du -sh ...) is at
42G.

Thanks,
Rich.

--