Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Recycle Current Volume - not taking effect?

2014-05-19 16:23:30
Subject: [Bacula-users] Recycle Current Volume - not taking effect?
From: sixtydoses <bacula-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 05 May 2014 20:52:37 -0700
Hi,

Referring to the sample pool below, I assumed that after 1 hour from the last
written backup, the volume status will change from 'Append' to 'Used'. This
works fine.

Say if I were to make another backup after one hour (but less than 2 hours, not
exceeding the retention time), I thought the volume should be pruned and
recycled since I have set the 'Recycle Current Volume' to 'yes'. Unfortunately
this is not happening. Bacula will wait for a new volume to be created since
the volume is marked as 'Used'.

Quoting from Bacula documentation:
"..if you have set Recycle Current Volume = yes and the Volume is marked as
Used or Full, Bacula will prune the volume and if all jobs were removed during
the pruning (respecting the retention periods), the Volume will be recycled and
used. "

Does that mean this parameter still respect the retention period before
recycling the 'Used' volume?

Sample pool:

Pool {
  Name = Test
  Pool Type = Backup
  Recycle = yes                       # Bacula can automatically recycle Volumes
  AutoPrune = yes                     # Prune expired volumes
  Volume Retention = 2 hours
  Volume Use Duration = 1 hour
  Recycle Current Volume = yes
}