Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Changing file and volume retention from 7 days to 14 days

2014-05-15 08:08:56
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Changing file and volume retention from 7 days to 14 days
From: ML mail <mlnospam AT yahoo DOT com>
To: "bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net" <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 15 May 2014 05:03:29 -0700 (PDT)
Hi,

Thanks for your instructions, I have now done the modifications and I see that
the volretention in my list volumes has been updated so I am supposing
tonight's backup will create new volumes accordingly.

Cheers
ML

On Wednesday, May 14, 2014 3:38 PM, Bill Arlofski <waa-bacula AT revpol DOT
com> wrote:
On 05/14/14 03:38, ML mail wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Instead of keeping 7 days of backups I would like to keep 14 days, so I
> changed the file retention parameter in my client from 7 days to 14 days and
> accordingly in my pool the volume retention from 6 days to 13 days and the
> maximum volumes from 7 to 14.
>
> Now the backup ran this night and I still have 7 volumes, bacula did not
> create an extra 8th volume as I was assuming it would do. So I guess I must
> have missed some parameter or something else I need to do. Does anyone see
> what I am missing here?
>
> Cheers
> ML

Changing the configuration file for your pools is the first step.

There are a couple more steps to go:

You need to issue a "reload" command in bconsole to tell the director to
re-read its configuration files.

But, Bacula determines the settings to use from the database, so you now need
to update the corresponding database settings:

In bconsole, do:

update --> "Pool from resource" --> the Pool(s) you modified

Now, any new volumes created will be assigned the settings from the modified
Pool(s).

And finally you need to update the retention times on the volumes that already
exist:

update  --> "Volume parameters" --> "All Volumes from all Pools"

you may use the list media command now to verify that the "VolRetention"
parameter (in seconds) matches what you set it to in the Pool(s) that you
modified.

and llist pools will show the VolRetention

You should run these two last commands first, prior to updating the database
to verify the current settings, and then after to verify the change.

Hope this helps!

Bill

--
Bill Arlofski