Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Backing up Xen virtual machines (LVM)

2014-05-05 10:50:21
Subject: [Bacula-users] Backing up Xen virtual machines (LVM)
From: Dawid Piotrowski <dawidpiotrowski87 AT gmail DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 5 May 2014 16:44:44 +0200
Hello everyone

I am preparing to implement Bacula on one of the servers I look after, but being new to the Bacula subject I would like to ask for some advisory from users more experienced.

The server I mean to run Bacula on is Debian Wheezy-based and serves as a host to several LVM-based Xen virtual machines running Wheezy as well. Some of the VMs are database servers (mainly PostgreSQL). The intended Bacula version is 5.2.6, available in Wheezy repositories.

My first question concerns where it is more advisable to place Bacula daemons: on the host system (and back up using LVM snapshots) or in the virtual machines themselves? I guess it's easier to ensure data consistency using LVM snapshots but I am afraid it would be much harder to restore the machine in this way so I am inclined to install Bacula in the VMs. However, wisdom comes from experience, so I ask you, the more seasoned users: which of the ways is less likely to give me headaches and what are possible 'gotchas' in each one? My intended use of Bacula is being able to restore a failed VM back up quickly in case of a disaster, rather than restoring single files. Any recommendations would be more than welcome.

Best regards,
Dawid Piotrowski