Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] latest bacula client (bacula-fd) for Windows

2014-04-25 11:03:11
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] latest bacula client (bacula-fd) for Windows
From: Phil Stracchino <phils AT caerllewys DOT net>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2014 10:57:49 -0400
On 04/25/14 10:44, Dimitri Maziuk wrote:
> On 4/25/2014 8:49 AM, compdoc wrote:
>
>> However, I think without open source Windows clients people won't take the
>> considerable time it takes to learn how to install Bacula, and they will
>> turn to other solutions.
>
> Not to worry: as of windows 7, windows backup is still broken and the
> rest of them are just as bad as bacula only more expensive. So they can
> turn to other solutions but it won't help.

If you have Windows 7 Pro, Windows Backup is actually fairly usable as
an image-backup tool, though it's nearly worthless for file-level
restore.  If you have Windows 7 Home, it's intentionally crippled.  I'm
actually considering a hybrid approach - Win7 native image backup for
bare-metal recovery, combined with Bacula for file-level restore of user
data.

--
  Phil Stracchino
  Babylon Communications