Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Advice upgrading bacula 5.0 -> 5.2

2014-02-24 11:45:21
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Advice upgrading bacula 5.0 -> 5.2
From: Márcio Merlone <marcio.merlone AT a1.ind DOT br>
To: bacula-users <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2014 13:39:17 -0300
Em 24-02-2014 12:56, Radosław Korzeniewski escreveu:

Em 24-02-2014 07:29, Radosław Korzeniewski escreveu:
2. Fix some utf-8 invalid chars: iconv -c -f UTF-8 -t UTF-8 -o /tmp/bacula_new.sql /tmp/bacula.sql
Why do you need this?
Bacula (AFAIK) does not use UTF-8 as a database character coding.
Indeed, but my filesystem is. When restoring catalog dump on the new server I got these two messages:

???

I do not understand. Your file name is /tmp/bacula.sql, it does not have UTF8 characters in its name.
I was not referring to the dump file name, but the database records inside it. My filesystem has lots of UTF-8 encoded chars on file's names wich gets into catalog records. Some of those (two records) were the problem. See below, first problem was on line 67185854 of bacula.sql:

psql:/tmp/bacula.sql:67185854: ERROR:  invalid byte sequence for encoding "UTF8": 0xa2
CONTEXT:  COPY filename, line 2881
psql:/tmp/bacula.sql:69079011: ERROR:  invalid byte sequence for encoding "UTF8": 0x87
CONTEXT:  COPY path, line 4771

I think your Bacula database has wrong charset encoding. It should be SQL_ASCII not UTF-8, so PostgreSQL should take any 8bit character as an input.
root@phobos:~/bin# su - postgres -c "psql bacula -c 'SHOW SERVER_ENCODING'"
 server_encoding
 SQL_ASCII
(1 row)

root@phobos:~/bin#

After iconv I was able to restore without warnings.
But you have a corrupted filename table - means you could not restore some files with proper filename. IMO, YMMV.
I see. This deserves an investigation, but considering I could not take those two records into the database, is no worse than it already was. Will dig into original sql dump and find out what is wrong. Thanks for pointing this out.

Best regards.

--
Marcio Merlone