Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] [Bacula-announce] Bacula Status Report

2013-11-27 09:49:43
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] [Bacula-announce] Bacula Status Report
From: Kern Sibbald <kern AT sibbald DOT com>
To: bacula-devel <bacula-devel AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>, bacula-users <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2013 15:46:31 +0100
On 11/26/2013 10:01 AM, Tim Claeyssens wrote:

Hi Mr. Sibbald,

Thanks for your very interesting status report.

Thanks

I  do consider myself as a Bacula user (becoming addict).

Nice.

Please allow me to try to provide me my personal reaction based on my Bacula beginner experience.

I do consider the product as being for academic minded.

Bareos ,I guess tries to point towards on less academic minded marked.

Yes, Bacula isn't the easiest program to learn, and at least in the past, we have
targeted having the same functionality as the big commercial firms, while at the
same time we did not have the human resources to build the nice web interfaces
that all the commercial products have.

I tried to rectify that a bit by implementing bat, but there are bigger more
important projects, so bat was never finished, and it lacks some fundamental
features.  This has been largely corrected with the Enterprise BWeb product,
and partially also by other programs such as Bacula Web.

I have looked but am not sure that Bareos really has something that makes
it easier to install or use.  If anyone finds that is the case, please fill me in!

Do know I thought of finding or making  some kind of “Bacula builder app” (like firewall builder )

What would it build?

If you are talking about initial configurations, then that we have done for the Enterprise BWeb,
and we hope to shortly have an new Bacula Web interface for the community in the next
few months, and I suspect that program might also be able to furnish some configuration
wizards such as BWeb

This could appeal less academic folks.

(Time is money and future generations could uses their minds differently J )

Do know I spend a lot of time building my infrastructure before even starting installing…

That is a smart way to go.

I do realize today that I probably should have created an NFS drive instead of big volume ,in  order to be able to do more jobs at the same time on the same drive….

I personally don't like NFS drives as they can hang any program accessing them, and it is not easy to know when
the data has actually and correctly written on the other end.  On the other hand many people forget that Bacula
has a Virtual Autochanger that work very well with disk allowing you some very significant flexibility.

My point is : Making money with support on  open source seems harsh to me though combining with something like offering (Swiss cloud) infrastructure and support seems appealing to me.

Yes, I understand that many users feel that way, but Bacula (Community) would not have most of the high end features
it has today without Bacula Systems, and Bacula Systems cannot survive without selling support.  This relationship
will bring even more high end features in the future.

Best regards,
Kern

My very best regards,

Tim Claeyssens