Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] ERROR: Msg delivery error: Unable to store data in database

2013-11-24 13:36:30
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] ERROR: Msg delivery error: Unable to store data in database
From: Greg Woods <greg AT gregandeva DOT net>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2013 11:32:49 -0700
On Sat, 2013-11-23 at 15:18 -0700, Greg Woods wrote:
> played games trying to give Mysql more resources in my.cnf, but I don't
> think that's really where the problem is.

It turns out that *is* where a problem is, but there were absolutely no
error messages anywhere to indicate this, other than the generic "cannot
connect to MySQL server" error. I did check the bacula logs, the system
log files and the mysqld log file.

I think the problem was that I was using the "Selection Type =
PoolUncopiedJobs", and the number of jobs to be copied had gotten larger
than previously and caused some limit to be exceeded. I  increased a
number of resource limits in my.cnf, but it still doesn't work.

I don't see any smoking gun in the bacula or system logs to tell me what
the problem is. The only error message I see anywhere is "Cannot connect
to database, either the server is not running or your authorization is
incorrect". However, I know the authorization is correct and the server
is running, so it's got to be some kind of resource exhaustion. I did
try running a copy for a single client. That also works, also pointing
to resource exhaustion. The problem with that is that it also copies
jobs that have already been copied. What I'd really like is to be able
to copy all jobs for a single client that have not already been copied,
so I can do all of them a few jobs at a time, but there doesn't seem to
be any way to do that. Maybe with some kind of SQL query? I could maybe
develop one, but it would take a lot of time to learn enough about how
the database is structured to be able to do that, so I want to have
someone who knows say that this is possible before I invest all that
time.

Another approach is to accelerate my move of Bacula and MythTV to a new
machine with more RAM, which I was going to do anyway. Then I can
allocate more memory to the database. But of course I don't know for
sure that that will fix the issue either.

--Greg