Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Problem with Bacula 5.2.5 and Windows client 5.2.10.

2013-11-14 18:09:58
Subject: [Bacula-users] Problem with Bacula 5.2.5 and Windows client 5.2.10.
From: Matias Banchoff <matiasb AT cespi.unlp.edu DOT ar>
To: Bacula Users <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2013 19:48:52 -0300
Hi!
   We are having a problem between a Bacula server version 5.2.5 (SD and
Dir) and a Windows client running Bacula-fd 5.2.10.

   The problem is we cannot make a full backup terminate with success.
Backup jobs start without any problem, but they end with error after
some GBs transfered (Sometimes after 1GBs, 2GBs, 4GBs. It does not
appear to be a network shapping problem).
   When the volume of data to backup is small, the backup job works
fine. The problem arises when we backup the whole data.
   Nobody has complained about connectivity problems with that Windows
Server (it's a database server).

   We have tried the following, but none worked:
- enable and disable VSS.
- configure heartbeat interval... everywhere! (SD, dir, FD) :-)
- lower the tcp keepalive time in our Bacula server (The one with the SD
and Dir installed) (sysctl net.ipv4.tcp_keepalive_time).
- disable Checksum Offload in the NIC config (As someone suggested in
http://www.bacula.org/manuals/en/install/install/Client_Fi_daemon_Configura.html).

Our Windows has an HP nic.
- transfer data from the Windows FD to an SD in the same network the
Windows server is, in an attempt to put SD and FD "closer".

   The next step is to downgrade Bacula-fd from 5.2.10 to 5.2.5 and see
if that resolves the problem. Any ideas? or any clue?

Notes:
- Backups are stored in a storage mounted using NFS.
- The data we are backing up is a single 50GB file.

Thanks!!!!

----------
FD STATUS
----------
Version: 5.2.10 (28 June 2012)  VSS Linux Cross-compile Win32
Daemon started 14-Nov-13 16:54. Jobs: run=3 running=0.
Microsoft Windows Home ServerEnterprise Edition Service Pack 2 (build 3790)
VSS enabled, Priv 0x73f
APIs=OPT,ATP,LPV,CFA,CFW,
  WUL,WMKD,GFAA,GFAW,GFAEA,GFAEW,SFAA,SFAW,BR,BW,SPSP,
  WC2MB,MB2WC,FFFA,FFFW,FNFA,FNFW,SCDA,SCDW,
  GCDA,GCDW,GVPNW,GVNFVMPW
  Heap: heap=0 smbytes=179,016 max_bytes=179,111 bufs=109 max_bufs=110
  Sizeof: boffset_t=8 size_t=4 debug=500 trace=1

---------
SD STATUS
---------
Device parameters:
Archive name: /backups Device name: Srv-dev
File=0 block=0
Min block=0 Max block=0
Device "Srv-dev" (/backups) is mounted with:
     Volume:      Server-prueba
     Pool:        server-full
     Media type:  File
Configured device capabilities:
EOF BSR BSF FSR FSF EOM !REM RACCESS AUTOMOUNT LABEL !ANONVOLS !ALWAYSOPEN
Device state:
OPENED !TAPE LABEL !MALLOC APPEND !READ !EOT !WEOT !EOF !NEXTVOL !SHORT
!MOUNTED
num_writers=1 reserved=0 block=0

-----------
DIR STATUS
-----------
bacula-dir Version: 5.2.5 (26 January 2012) i686-pc-linux-gnu ubuntu 12.04
Daemon started 14-Nov-13 17:23. Jobs: run=3, running=1 mode=0,0
  Heap: heap=401,408 smbytes=164,635 max_bytes=211,039 bufs=1,030
max_bufs=1,077

Dir and SD run in Ubuntu Precise:
Linux bacula-server 2.6.32-23-pve #1 SMP Tue Aug 6 07:04:06 CEST 2013
i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

-----
CeSPI
Centro Superior para el Procesamiento de la Información

Universidad Nacional de La Plata
Proteja el Medioambiente. No imprima este mail si no es absolutamente necesario