Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Changing Retention Periods

2013-10-21 08:32:44
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Changing Retention Periods
From: John Drescher <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
To: Ken Mandelberg <km AT mathcs.emory DOT edu>
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2013 08:29:42 -0400
On Sun, Oct 20, 2013 at 7:03 PM, Ken Mandelberg <km AT mathcs.emory DOT edu>
wrote:
> I've tried both suggestions given here
>
> update pool from resource
> update all volumes in pool
>
> which shows the lower period, but "list media" still has the old
> retention period.
>
> and the more interactive
>
> bconsole
>    update
>
> which had the same result.
>
> So I ended up doing
>
> update Volume=Vol0001
>
> which did let me select Volume Retention Period and it did take effect.
>
> Now Vol0001 shows an expiration date that has passed, what else do I
> need to do to be sure I can safely remove the Vol0001 file?

The expired retention period does not mean that you can safely delete
it. Bacula will retain expired volumes as long as it can and will only
reuse them when it needs a volume.

You can purge (and I think delete) a volume from bconsole at any time
expired or not. After deleting the volume in bconsole you can delete
the volume file.

John