Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] bacula-fd crashes on FreeBSD 9.2

2013-10-16 14:24:30
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] bacula-fd crashes on FreeBSD 9.2
From: David Newman <dnewman AT networktest DOT com>
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2013 11:21:21 -0700
On 10/16/13 8:35 AM, dweimer wrote:
> On 10/09/2013 6:41 pm, David Newman wrote:
>> FreeBSD 9.2-RELEASE, bacula-client-5.2.12_3 installed from ports
>>
>> Ever since upgrading this host to FreeBSD 9.2, bacula-fd crashes as soon
>> as bacula-dir starts a backup job. The entry in /var/log/messages is:
>>
>> Oct  9 16:25:50 o bacula-fd: Bacula interrupted by signal 0: UNKNOWN
>> SIGNAL
>>
>> Backups worked fine on this host running FreeBSD 9.1 and other hosts
>> upgraded to FreeBSD 9.2 run backups OK.
>>
>> I've done the uninstall/reinstall thing with the bacula-client port, but
>> that made no difference.
>>
>> Thanks in advance for troubleshooting clues.
>>
>> dn
>>

> David,
>
>    I have hit this on one of my servers as well, I have two upgraded to
> 9.2, both built from source upgraded from 9.1p7 to 9.2.  There are some
> differences, one is the Bacula server, and exists entirely to manage
> backups.  The other is a web / email server, the web / email server is
> working fine, the Bacula server was working fine, and has now hit the
> problem yours has, oddly enough, I can run the database backup just
> fine, its just the normal backup that fails.
>
>    I have a backup running now though, keeping my fingers crossed, as
> its actually made it past the point it normally fails, and I am
> wondering, is it that I selected a full backup instead of incremental?
> Since the catalog backup that's full is working, this makes me curious,
> have you ran into this problem on full backups or just incremental backups?
>
>    I haven't been able to find any difference's in the Bacula
> dependencies on either of the systems, they are all running at the same
> revision levels, I am using lzo compression on both (tried disabling,
> didn't stop crash), both systems are running on ZFS file system, both
> zpools have been upgraded after the update, both run the same script to
> generate database dumps, and take ZFS snapshots before backup, there is
> a different list of file sets to snapshot, and backup, but that's it.
> The web / email server does have a lot of additional ports installed
> that the Bacula server doesn't.  And of course the Bacula server is
> running both the bacula-sd and bacula-dir in addition to the bacula-fd
> service.

I've isolated my issue to a database backup job that runs before the
backup, via a ClientRunBeforeJob call on the bacula server. Without the
database backup, backups complete OK; with the backup, they don't.

This worked OK before the upgrade. The script works OK when executed
manually. Another 9.2 host running an identical script backs up OK, also
using ClientRunBeforeJob.

Next step is to try Martin Simmons' suggestion about using a debugger to
look deeper. Will let you know what I find.

dn