Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Unable to position to end of data on device

2013-10-01 11:56:29
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Unable to position to end of data on device
From: Deepak <deepak AT palincorporates DOT com>
To: Deepak <deepak AT palincorporates DOT com>
Date: Tue, 01 Oct 2013 21:22:31 +0530
Quoting Deepak <deepak AT palincorporates DOT com>:

Hi,

> Quoting Radosław Korzeniewski <radoslaw AT korzeniewski DOT net>:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> 2013/9/24 Deepak <deepak AT palincorporates DOT com>
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> While setting up recycled volumes I was facing some issues which I have
>>> resolved with help of you guys.
>>>
>>> I have three volumes. I have written to 1st and 2nd volueme these are
>>> marked with full status. now bacula just took a backup of 200 GB on 3rd
>>> volume. After that backup I executed a restore job and restored a few files
>>> successfully. Post this restoration I scheduled again a job. Which should
>>> write on 3rd volume as per my understanding and it has done the same. but
>>> while locating end of data it gave me some error and marked volume status
>>> as error and recycled 1st volume.
>>>
>>> for Recycling part it is doing perfectly. But while locating end of data
>>> it is not doing good. I have faced this issue second time in same scenario.
>>>
>>> Error i received in log files are :
>>>
>>> 24-Sep 12:26 backup-dir JobId 30: Start Backup JobId 30,
>>> Job=CONFIG.2013-09-24_12.26.**00_54
>>> 24-Sep 12:26 backup-dir JobId 30: Using Device "Tape-0"
>>> 24-Sep 12:27 backup-sd JobId 30: Volume "A00041L4" previously written,
>>> moving to end
>>> of data.
>>> 24-Sep 12:46 backup-sd JobId 30: Error: Unable to position to end of data
>>> on device
>>> "Tape-0" (/dev/lin_tape/IBMtape0): ERR=dev.c:1208 read error on "Tape-0"
>>> (/dev/lin_tape/IBMtape0). ERR=Input/output error.
>>>
>>> 24-Sep 12:46 backup-sd JobId 30: Marking Volume "A00041L4" in Error in
>>> Catalog.
>>> 24-Sep 12:46 backup-sd JobId 30: 3307 Issuing autochanger "unload slot 2,
>>> drive 0"
>>> command.
>>> 24-Sep 12:48 backup-dir JobId 30: There are no more Jobs associated with
>>> Volume
>>> "A00042L4". Marking it purged.
>>> 24-Sep 12:48 backup-dir JobId 30: All records pruned from Volume
>>> "A00042L4"; marking
>>> it "Purged"
>>> 24-Sep 12:48 backup-dir JobId 30: Recycled volume "A00042L4"
>>> 24-Sep 12:48 backup-sd JobId 30: 3304 Issuing autochanger "load slot 3,
>>> drive 0"
>>> command.
>>> 24-Sep 12:48 backup-sd JobId 30: 3305 Autochanger "load slot 3, drive 0",
>>> status is OK.
>>> 24-Sep 12:48 backup-sd JobId 30: Recycled volume "A00042L4" on device
>>> "Tape-0"
>>>

>> The cause of this problem is lin_tape driver. I had the same issue on a
>> number of implementations. Did you checked your tape drive setup with btape
>> utility before first backup? What was the result of the test?
>>

>>> It has recycled volume A00042L4 but marked as error on A00041L4.for more
>>> information I am using lin_tape driver for tape drive communication with
>>> IBM tape.
>>>
>>> Please tell me how to resolve this issue.
>>>

>> Change 'lin_tape' to 'st' driver. It solve all your issues.
>>

> Hi,
>
> I have removed lin_tape and configured system with 'st' I think it
> is working fine except one thing which was working fine with
> lin_tape my hba card failover with its configuration under
> /etc/modprobe.d/lin_tape.conf
> with below perameters.
>
> options lin_tape alternate_pathing=1
> options lin_tape tape_reserve_type=persistent
> options lin_tape lin_tape_debug=1
>

> post disabling lin_tape it is not working with st by default. Can
> you give me some idea how to configure hba multipathing failover in
> rhel6.4 with 'st' driver.

I have resolved this issue using RDAC toll . This is a wonderful tool
and working great with redhat 6.4 kernel.

>> best regards
>> --
>> Radosław Korzeniewski
>> radoslaw AT korzeniewski DOT net