Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] copy, delete, purge question

2013-09-25 15:45:53
Subject: [Bacula-users] copy, delete, purge question
From: Greg Woods <greg AT gregandeva DOT net>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2013 13:42:45 -0600
I just want to make sure I understand how this is supposed to work
before I do something that might cause me to lose backups.

Suppose I take a full backup for a couple of clients to a backup pool.
Then I successfully run a copy job which copies these to an archive
pool. Am I correct in assuming that, if I now delete the original backup
jobs, any volumes in the backup pool that contain only files from the
deleted jobs will be marked Purged and be available for re-use? And that
the copy jobs will now be marked as backups and I would be able to
restore files from those jobs from the volumes in the archive pool?

That's what I want to happen; I want to be able to delete jobs that I
have archive copies of, to free up space in the backup pool, but still
be able to restore files from the archived jobs. (The backup pool is
always online so that I can schedule backups 24x7, the archive pool is
much larger, and uses removable drives that are only connected while in
use, so they can't be taken out by a power surge etc. and can be stored
off site to guard against total disaster).

--Greg