Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] interesting news about MYSQL

2013-09-24 21:28:10
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] interesting news about MYSQL
From: "compdoc" <compdoc AT hotrodpc DOT com>
To: <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2013 19:24:29 -0600
> The question that has to be asked, though, is "under what test
conditions".

Well, I have to assume the tests mean on the same hardware. Which implies
changes in code. The story did mention help from Facebook in the form of
code.

> a customer who's running 5.5 on an 8-core rented server today isn't
>going to go out and rent a 128-core server tomorrow to run 5.7

Ideally, if newer versions are faster, one might delay renting that larger
server.

> MySQL 5.6 is actually slower, core for core and RAM for RAM, than 5.1 on
older hardware with the same data.

I appreciate legacy hardware, but I'm a small business with newer x86_64
hardware as are all of my customers who use mysql, so not really a concern.

To me it means that if I can hang on a little longer I'll be rewarded with
speed, and won't have to spend the time converting everything to a different
database.