Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] interesting news about MYSQL

2013-09-24 17:37:48
Subject: [Bacula-users] interesting news about MYSQL
From: "compdoc" <compdoc AT hotrodpc DOT com>
To: <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2013 15:20:16 -0600
Excerpts from http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/09/24/mysql_connect_2013/

Oracle chief corporate architect Edward Screven said that the team
developing MySQL at Oracle is now the largest it has ever been, and is
roughly twice as large as it was when Oracle acquired Sun Microsystems in
2010.

"Our plan, generally, for MySQL is constant, steady, drumbeat releases -
always making it better," he said. "We don't want to have the kind of
development cycle where we have two years between releases only. We want to
get the new and interesting capability and functionality and quality in the
hands of our customers on a regular, frequent basis."

The current release, MySQL 5.6, has been available for around six months,
and many of the customers who participated in conference sessions said they
had yet to upgrade from earlier versions. Yet Oracle is already pressing on
with version 5.7, releasing between two and four Development Milestone
Releases (DMRs) per year.

MySQL 5.7.2, was made available on Saturday to coincide with the start of
the Oracle OpenWorld conference. (That version numbering doesn't mean MySQL
5.7 has been vetted for production use yet - for reference, MySQL 5.6 wasn't
considered production-ready until the 5.6.10 build.)

The most obvious improvement in the new release is speed. MySQL engineer
Tomas Ulin says MySQL 5.7 is 95 per cent faster than MySQL 5.6 and 172 per
cent faster than version 5.5. The new version can achieve a peak throughput
of over 500,000 queries per second on the Sysbench point select benchmark,
and thanks to code contributions by Facebook engineers, it can now process
new connections to the database as much as 64 per cent faster.