Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Is anyone using >128K blocks with LTO-4 or LTO-5 drives?

2013-09-20 10:05:51
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Is anyone using >128K blocks with LTO-4 or LTO-5 drives?
From: Alan Brown <ajb2 AT mssl.ucl.ac DOT uk>
To: Andreas Koch <koch AT esa.informatik.tu-darmstadt DOT de>
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2013 14:43:57 +0100
On 20/09/13 13:22, Andreas Koch wrote:

> Many thanks for the data point! When we use Bacula (not just btape) with
> larger block sizes (512 KB), our backups abort when bacula fails to read the
> tape's header block.

Did you attempt to mix blocksizes on the same physical tape?

That will not work. If you change block sizes all existing tapes holding
data must be marked "used" and new ones labelled.

I run 2Mb block size quite happily on HP LTO5 drives and have done for a
few years. They are capable of 16Mb - we are limited to 2Mb by Bacula.