Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Multiple file type devices, one archive device (directory)

2013-09-09 12:11:45
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Multiple file type devices, one archive device (directory)
From: Bill Arlofski <waa-bacula AT revpol DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 09 Sep 2013 12:08:14 -0400
On 09/09/13 11:23, Josh Fisher wrote:

> On 9/8/2013 1:25 PM, Bill Arlofski wrote:
>>
>> Using an autochanger is not going to work since one of the devices will be
>> used for all jobs and clients, while the second device will be reserved for
>> one specific client. The one specific client's backups can be rather large,
>> and run for multiple days and would hold up the backups of all the other
>> clients.
>
> That is not the case. The 'Autoselect' directive in a Device config in
> bacula-sd.conf is used to determine if that device can be automatically
> selected by the associated autochanger. The default is 'yes', but if set
> to 'no' then the device will not be selected by a job that specifies the
> autochanger as its Storage device. Instead, a job must directly specify
> the device, rather than the autochanger, as its Storage device. This
> directive is specifically for the purpose of reserving one of the
> autochanger's drives for a particular job or set of jobs. See
> http://www.bacula.org/5.2.x-manuals/en/main/main/Storage_Daemon_Configuratio.html#SECTION001610000000000000000.

Thanks for the reply Josh.

OK, This makes perfect sense. So now I can see where this would be the best
way if the autochanger has 3, 4 or many devices configured in it and you
needed to reserve just one for a specific client or job.

But, what about when there are only two devices?

I guess my question is can I do what I want by defining two devices that point
to the same directory, without having to include them in an autochanger stanza?

I am thinking the answer is yes. But would love to know for sure before trying
it blindly on a production system. :)

Of course, if an autochanger is required, that is an easy enough to do
solution as well.

Thanks again for your input.

--
Bill Arlofski