Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Multiple file type devices, one archive device (directory)

2013-09-09 11:26:59
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Multiple file type devices, one archive device (directory)
From: Josh Fisher <jfisher AT pvct DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 09 Sep 2013 11:23:53 -0400
On 9/8/2013 1:25 PM, Bill Arlofski wrote:
> Hello everyone
>
> I have a situation where I need to be able to have two devices, each of "Media
> Type  = File" that point to the same Archive Device (directory).  This
> directory contains ~500+ 10GB file volumes on a ~6TB array.
>
> The first device will write to three pools (Full, Diff, Inc) each with
> different retention periods, while the second device will ONLY write to a
> single pool (ClientName) with a completely separate retention period. Each of
> the Pools will be set to recycle to the Scratch pool.
>
> With this setup, volumes from either device will be available to the other
> device (and Pools) once they have been recycled to the Scratch pool, thereby
> not forcing me to manage exactly how many volumes are required for each pool,
> each month if I were to set up two devices with two different media types.
>
> Using an autochanger is not going to work since one of the devices will be
> used for all jobs and clients, while the second device will be reserved for
> one specific client. The one specific client's backups can be rather large,
> and run for multiple days and would hold up the backups of all the other
> clients.

That is not the case. The 'Autoselect' directive in a Device config in
bacula-sd.conf is used to determine if that device can be automatically
selected by the associated autochanger. The default is 'yes', but if set
to 'no' then the device will not be selected by a job that specifies the
autochanger as its Storage device. Instead, a job must directly specify
the device, rather than the autochanger, as its Storage device. This
directive is specifically for the purpose of reserving one of the
autochanger's drives for a particular job or set of jobs. See
http://www.bacula.org/5.2.x-manuals/en/main/main/Storage_Daemon_Configuratio.html#SECTION001610000000000000000.