Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] bacula selecting volume from wrong/different pool for job

2013-09-06 05:28:21
Subject: [Bacula-users] bacula selecting volume from wrong/different pool for job
From: Rudolph Bott <r AT bott DOT im>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 06 Sep 2013 10:55:23 +0200
Hi List,

we are running bacula 5.2.6 on Debian squeeze (Packet 5.2.6+dfsg8~bpo60+1 from
Squeeze Backports) and after a crash of our bacula director on sunday night we
are experiencing some weird behaviour.

Some of our jobs keep failing since then (but not every day). Out of several
hundred jobs per night, a small subset performs a full backup every night into
the same pool (which contains 14 volumes to retain the backups for two weeks).

However, since that crash the bacula director seems to pick the wrong volume
from a DIFFERENT pool and the jobs simply stall and do nothing until they get
killed or the SD gets restarted etc. We do not use tapes, all of our
pools/volumes are file-based.

Here is an example output from the SD status:

Writing: Full Backup job server01.domain.net JobId=438027
Volume="SomeOtherPool-Daily-0000"
     pool="SERVER-Backups" device="DeviceSERVER" (/backup/SERVER)
     spooling=0 despooling=0 despool_wait=0
     Files=0 Bytes=0 Bytes/sec=0
     FDSocket closed
Writing: Full Backup job server02.domain.net JobId=438033
Volume="SomeOtherPool-Daily-0000"
     pool="SERVER-Backups" device="DeviceSERVER" (/backup/SERVER)
     spooling=0 despooling=0 despool_wait=0
     Files=0 Bytes=0 Bytes/sec=0
     FDSocket closed

However, the volume "SomeOtherPool-Daily-0000" belongs to a different Pool on a
different device (Pool: SomeOtherPool, Device: DeviceOther, Path:
/backup/Other...you get the idea). As you can see below, there are no
scratchpools etc. configured and there is aboslutely no link between
"SERVER-Backups" and "SomeOtherPool").

Here is the SD Definition:
Device {
   Name = DeviceSERVER
   Media Type = File
   Archive Device = /backup/SERVER
   LabelMedia = yes;
   Random Access = Yes;
   AutomaticMount = yes;
   RemovableMedia = no;
   AlwaysOpen = no;
   Maximum Concurrent Jobs = 8
}

Storage-Definition:
Storage {
   Name = FileStorageSERVER
   Address = sd.domain.net
   SDPort = 9103
   Password = "whatevergoeshere"
   Device = DeviceSERVER
   Media Type = File
   Maximum Concurrent Jobs = 8

   TLS Require = yes
   TLS CA Certificate File = ca.pem
   TLS Certificate =  cert.pem
   TLS Key = key.pem

}

Pool-Definition:
Pool {
   Name = SERVER-Backups
   Pool Type = Backup
   Storage = FileStorageSERVER
   AutoPrune = yes
   Recycle = yes
   RecyclePool = SERVER-Backups
   Recycle Oldest Volume = yes
   Volume Use Duration = 23 hours
   VolumeRetention = 12 days
   Maximum Volumes = 16
   LabelFormat = "SERVER-Backups-${NumVols:p/4/0/r}"
}

Regards,
Rudolph Bott