Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Expiration of Backup Volumes on DIsk

2013-09-03 11:51:34
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Expiration of Backup Volumes on DIsk
From: Josh Fisher <jfisher AT pvct DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 03 Sep 2013 11:48:07 -0400
On 9/2/2013 10:41 AM, Ken Mandelberg wrote:
> I don't backup to tape, just disk. When a Volume hits its expiration
> what happens? Is the Volume erased, or overwritten as needed?

Pruning/purging removes database records, but does not erase the volume
file. The volume file space will not be overwritten until the recycled
volume is used in the future. To immediately reclaim the space, a
separate step is needed and is called "truncate on purge". The truncate
on purge method is described in the docs at
http://www.bacula.org/5.0.x-manuals/en/main/main/New_Features_in_5_0_1.html#SECTION00410000000000000000