Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] filesystem setup for disk based backups

2013-09-02 05:32:51
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] filesystem setup for disk based backups
From: Kern Sibbald <kern AT sibbald DOT com>
To: James Harper <james.harper AT bendigoit.com DOT au>
Date: Mon, 02 Sep 2013 11:28:32 +0200
Hello James,

There are two things that "worry" me about your proposed setup are:

1. 1 Job per Volume.  If you have lots (thousands) of jobs you will have
     lots of Volumes, and today, Bacula is not really efficient about
     managing many thousands of volumes.  Why not store multiple
     jobs in a single volume?  I see little or no downside.  Yes,
     there are interleaved blocks,
     but restoring from disk is fast and unless you have really short
     restore SLAs, I see only disadvantages to 1 job per volume.

2. Over many years, I have learned that anytime you start doing
    things that are not standard or normal (especially many such as
     you propose), you increase the chances of running into bad
     problems.  Why put allocation
     units way up?  Especially with one job per volume, you will
     just waste disk, and gain little or nothing, furthermore, you
     probably will stress the OS with big memory requirements.

You don't mention it, but I recommend that you consider using Virtual
Autochangers, either Bacula's built-in version, which I prefer or the
Virtual Disk changer that a lot of the community prefers.  Either one
should simplify SD Device management especially if you want to run
multiple-simultaneous jobs, which seems to me necessary given it seems
that you have some big backup requirements.

Whatever you decide, good luck.

Kern