Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] filesystem setup for disk based backups

2013-09-01 22:56:16
Subject: [Bacula-users] filesystem setup for disk based backups
From: James Harper <james.harper AT bendigoit.com DOT au>
To: "bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net" <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 2 Sep 2013 02:32:42 +0000
In the past for setting up disk based backups I've used multiple physical disks
each with a  single sd device on them and limited each device to a single job
at a time, and each fd backing up to its own pool, with one device per job.
This minimises seeks and fragmentation etc but does mean I'm making guesses
about what client to back up to which disk to balance occupancy and workload.

I'm setting up a new server for backups now with 4 x 3TB disks and am thinking
about the best parameters for filesystems. I'd like for multiple jobs to be
able to run at once (still one volume per job) and with all the SD data sitting
on one giant partition on RAID5 to maximise storage use.

I think I should be able to tweak the sd media filesystem to best suit this and
minimise fragmentation. The parameters I'm looking at are:
. large allocation unit - maybe up to 1MB
. high commit time to maximise the case of streaming writes. Up to 30 seconds
should be acceptable, provided a sync is done at the conclusion of each job
. data in writeback mode (eg no ordering of data writes, only metadata is
journaled, on the basis that on a power failure the current backup is
considered dead anyway).

Anything else I should be considering? Does any of the above sound like a
recipe for disaster?

Thanks

James