Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] TSM5.5 to Bacula migration.

2013-08-13 12:30:46
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] TSM5.5 to Bacula migration.
From: Dimitri Maziuk <dmaziuk AT bmrb.wisc DOT edu>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2013 11:27:50 -0500
On 08/13/2013 10:10 AM, Steven Haigh wrote:
> On 03/08/13 23:50, Bill Arlofski wrote:

>> You can take the 40GB local storage and create several small(ish) (5GB?)
>> Bacula "file volumes." (40GB seems VERY small to me)
>
> Is there a benefit of these being so small? In TSM I use 2 x 20Gb
> volumes on the system disk and 200Gb volumes on the eSATA drives.

I use ~50GB in case I ever want to archive them (BDR size). I think
1. too big (e.g. terabyte-sized, or spanning your entire disk) is likely
to cause problems, and
2. Consider the number of volumes you can fit on your disk and your job
sizes and backup levels. If you never purge any jobs then it probably
doesn't matter.

> Hmmm - are these volumes physical files (like a TSM volume)? or more
> like a filesystem directory? I'm not finding much in the way of
> documentation for understanding this... The 'administrators guide' I've
> found is more blank pages / chapters than content... Is there somewhere
> else I should be looking?

vchander readme. With disk storage, volumes are files, "magazines" are
filesystems.

> I did see this - but it seems to be a lot of patched together scripts to
> get basic support for external media that isn't a tape library.

Yep. Bacula doesn't get Not Tapes, you have to make things look like a
tape library, that tends to look ugly.

> but what would happen if a
> removable drive wasn't inserted? What about running the migrations on an
> adhoc basis?

What does tivoli do when media isn't there? How about a "pre-job" script
that checks if the disk is inserted and has > xMB free?

--
Dimitri Maziuk
Programmer/sysadmin