Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] bacula related quesitons

2013-05-27 23:22:33
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] bacula related quesitons
From: Bill Arlofski <waa-bacula AT revpol DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 27 May 2013 23:17:52 -0400
On 05/27/13 14:17, StompDagger1 AT yahoo DOT com wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I'm trying bacula for my home backups and I have some questions that I'd
> appreciate if someone can help with them.
>
>  1. I'm backing up 3 clients, do I need catalog backup for each?

No. You may use one catalog.  Other than very large, and/or complex
configurations, I can't think of a reason to have more than one catalog.

> also can I use the same job for them all?

No. You will need at least one Job resource configured for each client you
wish to backup.  You may have more than one Job resource per client if you
want to split the jobs up (like adults, students, faculty on a fileserver in a
school for example)

You may also define a common JobDef resource that contains the settings that
are the same for each client (like Pool, Storage, Fileset, Level, Priority),
then use that JobDef in your Job resource(s) to save you from defining each of
these options in every Job resource.

>  2. I want to backup a folder and keep the changes in it two weeks back, what
>     is the right way to do so?

Set up a few different pools, each with a different retention time. e.g.:
(just pulling these out of the air)

Full = 3 week retention
Incremental = 1 week retention
Differential = 2 week retention

Then do Full backups every week... say on Friday, Incrementals on Saturday
through Thursday, and finally Differentials on Fridays.

See the manual re: Schedules, and a post from me on 05/26/13 with a subject
"Storage & Different Backup question"

>  3. if I want to backup a windows machine, do I need to add the tray monitor
>     to startup?

No. As long as the bacula-fd process is running the tray monitor is not needed.

Hope this helps!

--
Bill Arlofski
Reverse Polarity, LLC