Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Having a problem getting readfifo to work

2013-05-23 09:18:24
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Having a problem getting readfifo to work
From: Radosław Korzeniewski <radoslaw AT korzeniewski DOT net>
To: Jonathan Bayer <linuxgurugamer AT gmail DOT com>, bacula-users <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 23 May 2013 15:14:55 +0200
Hello,

2013/5/23 Jonathan Bayer <linuxgurugamer AT gmail DOT com>
Hmmm.

Ok, I've been doing more research, and think I have figured it out.

I've been looking in the restore section, trying to see the amount of data which was backed up, but it always said 0 for the fifo.

The metadata (i.e. file size) of the file which is archived by Bacula is checked before any data is read from the file. For fifo it will be always 0, because stat system call on this file always return 0.

  I then read/remembered that Bacula will restore a fifo to a fifo, and that the fifo has to be read to get the data.

Yes.

So I just did a test, which demonstrated that the databases were actually being backed up.  I did a restore, then manually on the destination, cd'd into the /tmp/bacula-restores/var/lib/pgsql/data/dump/fifo directory, and quickly did a "cat otrs.data.dump  >aa", and there was my data.

Exactly.

So, two questions:

1.  How can i see how much data was backed up through a fifo?

Check a size of the backup at Job summary message. I think it should be valid.

2.  Is it possible to tell Bacula to restore to a file instead of a fifo?

IMVHO, no.

best regards
--
Radosław Korzeniewski