Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] LTO 6 compression

2013-05-07 10:31:47
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] LTO 6 compression
From: LDC - Gustavo El Khoury <gustavo AT ldc.usb DOT ve>
To: John Drescher <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Tue, 7 May 2013 09:58:18 -0430
On 07/05/2013, at 09:15 a.m., John Drescher <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com> wrote:

>> I see that LTO 6 holds 2.5T data per tape, or 6.25T compressed.
>
> The 6.25TB is only an estimate. If you have non compressible data you
> will get close to 2.5 TB of space on your tape. If you have all text
> files you may fit 15 TB on a single tape..
>
>> I've never used HW compression before so am wondering whether its
>> performance is variable like SW compression.   i.e. depends on the
>> file contents just what kind of compression ratio you'll get.
>>
>> And also how reliable is it?   If it is just as reliable why would
>> someone choose not to use it (and therefore why is there an option to
>> not use it)?
>
> HW compression is 100% reliable. Just leave compression on at the HW
> level and make sure you have software compression off. HW compression
> will not slow down your backups and it will not reduce your tape if
> you have non compressible data.
>
> John

Currently I have a LTO3 magazine with HW compression on. From a theoretical max
storage of 400GB, sometimes it gets very good compression rates, and manages to
fit near 700GB. I had it turned off before, and since I turned it on I haven't
noticed any difference in backup time. My recommendation: turn off SW
compression and let the hardware do its job.

LDC - Gustavo El Khoury