Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula transfer limited 100Mbit/s

2013-05-03 17:55:42
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula transfer limited 100Mbit/s
From: "Adam Thompson" <ad.thompson AT uwinnipeg DOT ca>
To: <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 03 May 2013 16:51:57 -0500

Assuming you're running a fairly recent Linux distro, and assuming your active network interface is eth0, run:

ethtool eth0 | grep Speed

and make sure you actually have a network connection that can push more than 100Mbit/sec!

-Adam

jburkemx <bacula-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>

<bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>

2013-30-03 16:30

[Bacula-users]  Bacula transfer limited 100Mbit/s

When spooling to disk I still get only a max of 100Mbit.  When writing to tape I get exactly the same network transfer speed.  Here is a screen shot of a run with spooling enabled.

http://screencast.com/t/rCU6UAZ8MpHj

Those dips are when the 20GB spool is written to the tape.  Notice that the dips are much shorter which means the Tape drive is faster than the network speed.

I have an TL2000 w/dual LTO5 and when running the btape speed tests I get the the following results:

zero data = "" MB/s to 189.4 MB/s
random data = "" MB/s to 116 MB/S

zero data and bacula block structure = 111 MB/s to 151.5 MB/S

The slowest tape speed (56.51 MB/s = 452 Mbit/s) is still way faster than the network transfer speed.

Though now that i'm running a test rsync I'm getting the same bandwidth limiting.. odd, so it's probably not bacula at all.