Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] multi-homed SD & single-homed FDs

2013-05-03 10:54:02
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] multi-homed SD & single-homed FDs
From: Radosław Korzeniewski <radoslaw AT korzeniewski DOT net>
To: Adam Thompson <ad.thompson AT uwinnipeg DOT ca>
Date: Fri, 3 May 2013 16:49:38 +0200
Hello,

I don't fully understand where your problem exist because you do not show us your configuration.

2013/5/2 Adam Thompson <ad.thompson AT uwinnipeg DOT ca>

I'm trying to setup a multi-homed DIR + SD to service two different VLANs that are firewalled from each other.

OK, no problem.

I've tried configuring multiple Storage per Pool in bacula-dir.conf, each one with a different IP address (no hostnames; I don't manage DNS here), but the FD on the client for VLAN #2 still keeps trying to contact the SD on VLAN #1 and timing out.

Show us your configuration. I don't understand why do you need to configure something in a Pool.

The old DNS-based routing hacks aren't feasible in my environment: I can only get one IP per hostname, and I do NOT want to manually edit /etc/hosts files (that's a maintenance nightmare).

???

Bacula fully support IP only server address names in any component configuration, no /etc/hosts nightmares anymore.

<advocacy>
At this point I would like to greet all Networker administrators for 20+ years of /etc/hosts nightmares. Not to mention the RPC protocol. Switch to Bacula and all your nightmares gone.
</advocacy>

Is anyone else managing to do this successfully in Bacula (Community Edition 5.2.13), or do I have to do some routing magic on each host and a loopback IP on the SD?

I do this all the time... :) Depend if customer wants to use DNS or IP addresses only. No magic routing or loopback IP on the SD(?).

First you need to setup Bacula SD (in bacula-sd.conf) to listen on two interfaces (IP addresses) or any available interface, i.e.

Storage {
  SDAddresses = {
    ip = { addr = 10.10.10.10 } # vlan1
    ip = { addr = 10.20.10.10 } # vlan2
  }
  (...)
}

Check your configuration with netstat.

Next you have to define two Storage Resources in your Bacula DIR config (in bacula-dir.conf). Both Storages need to have the same parameters except Address=<IP> which should point to your vlans, i.e.

Storage {
  Name = Storage-VLAN1
  Address = 10.10.10.10
  (...)
}

Storage {
  Name = Storage-VLAN2
  Address = 10.20.10.10
  (...)
}

Then you need to define a valid storage (with example above: Storage-VLAN1 or Storage-VLAN2) in your every Job resource (or JobDefs resources) corresponding to what client is connected to what vlan.

Piece a cake... :)

best regards
--
Radosław Korzeniewski