Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Could not stat "C:\Path\to\file\with\more\than\260\characters" ERR=The system cannot find the path specified

2013-03-27 08:13:03
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Could not stat "C:\Path\to\file\with\more\than\260\characters" ERR=The system cannot find the path specified
From: Konstantin Khomoutov <flatworm AT users.sourceforge DOT net>
To: Köksal Erdal <k.erdal AT portrix DOT net>
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2013 16:09:44 +0400
On Wed, 27 Mar 2013 12:13:33 +0100
Köksal Erdal <k.erdal AT portrix DOT net> wrote:

> >> i need help with Bacula. We are using Bacula Version: 5.0.1 on
> >> Ubuntu Server 10.04 and have some problems to backup paths with
> >> more than 260 characters. The affected backup client is a Windows
> >> Server 2008 with shared Volumes via CIFS. I noticed many entries
> >> like "Could not stat "C:\Path\to\file\with\more\than\260
> >> \characters" ERR=The system cannot find the path specified" in the
> >> notification mail. After the noticement, i checked the
> >> availability of the affected paths and the user rights. The paths
> >> are all available and the rights similar like all other folders
> >> and files. Do you have some ideas for this issue? Could it be that
> >> the path length is reason for this issue? Is it possible to
> >> increase the path lengths?
> > That 260 characters cap is the limitation of Win32 API.  To use more
> > than that number of characters, the paths being manipulated must be
> > prefixed with "\\.\" etc.
> >
> > So I'd recommend bringing this up with Bacula developers.
> > Note that they do not read this list, so use the bugtracker or post
> > to bacula-devel.
>
> thank you for this hint! Can you give me an example for editing this
> into bacula-dir.conf

Editing what exactly?
I was not talking about patching your Bacula config but rather about
possible modification of the Bacula FD's source code so that on Windows
it would employ that special pathname handling.
I was wrong about the prefix -- it's rather "\\?\" but this is not
really relevant to the point I'm trying to make.
Refer to [1] for more info.

You *can* try to cross your fingers and try to patch entries in your
fileset.  I would try somehting like
File = "//?/C:/Some/Long/Long/Path"
and
File = "\\\\?\\C:/Some/Long/Long/Path"

But again, I'm talking about calling out OS API, not configuring Bacula.

1. http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa365247#maxpath

P.S.
Please don't top-post -- this breaks discussion flow.
And you replied to me directly, not to the list.
Please don't do that -- use the "Reply to all" or "Reply to group" button
in your mail client when replying.