Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Could not stat "C:\Path\to\file\with\more\than\260\characters" ERR=The system cannot find the path specified

2013-03-27 06:43:10
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Could not stat "C:\Path\to\file\with\more\than\260\characters" ERR=The system cannot find the path specified
From: Konstantin Khomoutov <flatworm AT users.sourceforge DOT net>
To: Köksal Erdal <k.erdal AT portrix DOT net>
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2013 14:40:02 +0400
On Wed, 27 Mar 2013 11:06:00 +0100
Köksal Erdal <k.erdal AT portrix DOT net> wrote:

> i need help with Bacula. We are using Bacula Version: 5.0.1 on Ubuntu
> Server 10.04 and have some problems to backup paths with more than
> 260 characters. The affected backup client is a Windows Server 2008
> with shared Volumes via CIFS. I noticed many entries like "Could not
> stat "C:\Path\to\file\with\more\than\260\characters" ERR=The system
> cannot find the path specified" in the notification mail. After the
> noticement, i checked the availability of the affected paths and the
> user rights. The paths are all available and the rights similar like
> all other folders and files. Do you have some ideas for this issue?
> Could it be that the path length is reason for this issue? Is it
> possible to increase the path lengths?

That 260 characters cap is the limitation of Win32 API.  To use more
than that number of characters, the paths being manipulated must be
prefixed with "\\.\" etc.

So I'd recommend bringing this up with Bacula developers.
Note that they do not read this list, so use the bugtracker or post to
bacula-devel.