Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] VirtualFull software compression

2013-03-25 09:51:49
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] VirtualFull software compression
From: Konstantin Khomoutov <flatworm AT users.sourceforge DOT net>
To: "azurIt" <azurit AT pobox DOT sk>
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2013 17:48:58 +0400
On Mon, 25 Mar 2013 14:26:07 +0100
"azurIt" <azurit AT pobox DOT sk> wrote:

> >> Thank you, this will be the case as i'm *never* doing Full backups
> >> (it takes ages to complete).
> >If you are using a Virtual Full Backups then you had to run at least
> >one Full Backup on your client. If your VF backups are not
> >compressed then your first Full backup wasn't compressed either. To
> >get VF compressed you have to perform a new Full compressed backup.
>
> I understand but i'm trying to avoid doing new Full backup. It's
> e-mail server with 5 000 000 of files and 600 GB storage. Full backup
> takes about 20 hours and server is under big load. :(

Is there a way to make LVM/ZFS snapshot and back it up afterwards
(possibly throttling the IO of the Bacula FD process to not slow down
the server)?

Alternatively, you *could* try to restore your full backup somewhere
else and then take the full (compressed) backup off that other client
somehow pretending that it really was your *real* client (certain
jiggling with Client settings will be needed in the Director's
configuration to change the IP/hostname of that client).