Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Which full back up is an incremental/differential back up based on if multiple full back ups exist within multiple pools with different retention periods?

2013-03-20 11:38:15
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Which full back up is an incremental/differential back up based on if multiple full back ups exist within multiple pools with different retention periods?
From: Phil Stracchino <alaric AT metrocast DOT net>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2013 11:34:12 -0400
On 03/18/13 11:17, Melvin Ross wrote:
> As the title says, I want to know if within a JobID, does bacula possess
> any logic verification when selecting which full back up to base
> incremental/differential back ups on or  does it simply uses the latest
> one.   The reason for this question is due to the nature of my
> schedule/volume configuration which can be seen below.  As a courtesy,
> I'll summarize it as well.

tl;dr version:
A Differential backup is always based off the most recent completed
successful Full backup of that Job at the time the Differential was
started (or possibly at the time it was scheduled, I'm not 100% certain
of that detail).  An Incremental backup is always based off the most
recent completed successful backup of that Job at *any* level.

co.ordinate DOT org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.