Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Which full back up is an incremental/differential back up based on if multiple full back ups exist within multiple pools with different retention periods?

2013-03-18 14:28:56
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Which full back up is an incremental/differential back up based on if multiple full back ups exist within multiple pools with different retention periods?
From: John Drescher <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
To: Melvin Ross <melvin.ross AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2013 14:26:12 -0400
> No, this was a mistake on my part not properly understanding the Volume
> Retention Period Directive. I obviously skimmed through that part of the
> documentation and should have paid closer attention. I'm correcting that
> error now. Thank you very much for pointing it out. All files are being
> written to hdds, not takes, and replicated offsite with rsync.

Just a word of caution for disk volumes make sure you limit the volume
size or usage otherwise bacula will create 1 single volume per pool
that only fills when the filesystem containing the volume runs out of
space. Then after the filesystem is out of space it marks the volume
full then and only then the retention period begins. A lot of new
users get confused with this and ask months later why their volume
keeps growing and is never recycled..

John