Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Reducing the maximum number of volumes in a pool

2013-03-12 11:17:15
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Reducing the maximum number of volumes in a pool
From: Uwe Schuerkamp <uwe.schuerkamp AT nionex DOT net>
To: Dan Langille <dan AT langille DOT org>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2013 16:14:49 +0100
On Wed, Feb 27, 2013 at 08:11:44AM -0500, Dan Langille wrote:
<snip snip>

> In bconsole, did you issue the reload command before issuing the update
> command?

Hi folks,

some more observations on reducing the numbers of volumes in a pool: I
changed the max volumes from 14 to 8 for a disk based incremental
pool, reloaded the director config and then started manually deleting
volumes using bconsole.

"list pool" still showed numvols = maxvols = 14 until I manually
started the "update pool from resource" command, then the volume count
for both numvols and maxvols would decrease by one for each volume
deleted.

Now I'm asking myself is this a bug or a feature? Sure bacula tries to
keep my data as long as possible (which is nice), but I'd expect the
following to happen:

- Bacula sees numvols > maxvols once it's starting a job (maxjobs = 1
  per volume), so it deletes the oldest volume from the pool and
  recycles the next oldest until numvols is equal maxvols again.

What really bugs me about this is that even after reloading the config
and updating the pool from resource manually, "maxvols" is still on
the old value and not the one found in bacula-dir.conf, so one has no
indication on a database level that the pool contains more volumes
that it should.

All the best, Uwe

--
NIONEX --- Ein Unternehmen der Bertelsmann SE & Co. KGaA