Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] How precisely does bacula decide what to archive

2013-02-22 12:29:01
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] How precisely does bacula decide what to archive
From: Martin Simmons <martin AT lispworks DOT com>
To: Durand Toto <gnewbee AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2013 17:26:24 GMT

> > > IN ACCURATE MODE, I cannot keep a DB of all the files ever archived
> > > as
> > > the DB would grow to a TB (10^5 to 10^6 new files/day).
> >
> > No, that doesn't happen. Not every revision of every file is kept.
> > Forever.
> >

> I understand that. However, for most files, I don't do revisions, they are
> created and then archived period. Despite that, I have many many brand new
> files every day. Thus even with one entry per file (without any revision),
> I will have billions of entries.

There is no way to avoid that.  Budget for 100-200 bytes per entry in the File
table of the db.

> > > I am thus trying to understand what is compared internally, however,
> > > dont know how to interprete the following sentence of the manual:
> > >      _"the Director will send a list of ALL previous files backed
> > > up_,_ and the File daemon will use that list to determine if any new
> > > files have been added or or moved and if any files have been
> > > deleted."_
> > >
> > > Does all files mean:
> > >     1) all files ARCHIVED in the PREVIOUS (potentially incremental)
> > > backup?
> > >     2) all files PRESENT on the drive during the PREVIOUS
> > > (potentially incremental) backup?
> > >      3) all files that bacula KNOWS OF i.e. all files PRESENT IN
> > > THE CATALOG at that time (i.e. minus purged old files?)
> > >     4) all files EVER ARCHIVED ?
> >
> > I'll leave that to someone else.
> >

> If "someone else" is around, that'd be much appreciated :).

It is 3, if "purged old files" means files deleted from the File daemon's
filesystem.

More precisely, it is the list of files that bacula thinks were in the
filesystem at the time of the last backup.  This information is stored in the
catalog, spread among the various full/diff/incr backups, including markers to
say that a file was deleted.

__Martin