Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] How precisely does bacula decide what to archive

2013-02-15 06:26:14
Subject: [Bacula-users] How precisely does bacula decide what to archive
From: Durand Toto <gnewbee AT gmail DOT com>
To: bacula-users <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2013 11:23:52 +0000
Hi,

I'm trying to use bacula but for space reasons I can only do incremental backups so I need to make sure that I archive everything.

I see two alternatives:
    * Bacula in normal mode ensuring that all files are considered new (settting ctimes)
    * Bacula in accurate mode

However, I'd like to make sure that my interpretation of the manual is correct before proceeding.

In normal mode
, the way I understand it, bacula archives files that have a ctime (or mtime with mtime-only) that is newer than the time at which the job is run. If I am right, is this job time:
    1) the time at which the job was scheduled
    2) the time at which the job actually started
    3) the time at which the files list was created
    4) the time at which the current file is archived ?
Also, what if the file has the same ctime as the job ? Will it be archived this time, skipped or never archived altogether ? (In other words, is files newer meaning ctime > job time or ctime >= job time)

In accurate mode, I cannot keep a DB of all the files ever archived as the DB would grow to a TB (10^5 to 10^6 new files/day).

I am thus trying to understand what is compared internally, however, I don't know how to interprete the following sentence of the manual:
    "the Director will send a list of all previous files backed up, and the File daemon will use that list to determine if any new files have been added or or moved and if any files have been deleted."

Does all files mean:
    1) all files ARCHIVED in the PREVIOUS (potentially incremental) backup?
    2) all files PRESENT on the drive during the PREVIOUS (potentially incremental) backup?
    3) all files that bacula KNOWS OF i.e. all files PRESENT IN THE CATALOG at that time (i.e. minus purged old files?)
    4) all files EVER ARCHIVED ?

All deamons are running on the same server which has 64GB RAM and 16 cores CPU.

All suggestions are welcome.

Thanks in advance,

Gnewbee