Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] VirtualFull and NextPool definitions, good practice to "create a loop" ?

2013-02-22 03:25:48
Subject: [Bacula-users] VirtualFull and NextPool definitions, good practice to "create a loop" ?
From: "Masopust, Christian" <christian.masopust AT siemens DOT com>
To: bacula-users <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2013 09:23:05 +0100
Dear all,

I'm currently completely redefining my Bacula setup and plan now to use Virtual Full backups
for some of my bigger servers.

I've now defined the necessary two pools but am unsure now if it is a good practice to
create a "loop" in these pools:

Pool {
  Name = Pool1
  Next Pool = Pool2
}

Pool {
  Name = Pool2
  Next Pool = Pool1
}

I googled a lot and found some concerns that these configuration can cause a deadlock, is that right?
But at other places I found this setup recommended...
So I'm now completely unsure how to proceed.

If not using that loop I found that the Virtual Full backups alternate between the two pools but the
differential and incremental are always done to the first pool.  What I would like is that all diff and incr
backups are done to that pool that has the most recent full backup and I think that will be possible
by defining the loop above, right?

So.... how do you configure your Virtual Full?  What is the best practice for it?
And... how likely is it that a deadlock can/will occur?

Thanks a lot!!
Christian