Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Backing up Dovecot maintained Maildirs under Linux

2013-02-13 16:55:42
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Backing up Dovecot maintained Maildirs under Linux
From: Josh Fisher <jfisher AT pvct DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2013 16:53:03 -0500
On 2/13/2013 8:29 AM, Jari Fredriksson wrote:
> I have a backup job using Accurate=Yes and that job backs up Maildirs on
> my server.
>
> I have not tested what happens to message time stamps when Dovecot moves
> files from folder to another. Is there any special considerations to
> make this work with Backula?
>
> Does anyone has any experince with this kind of backup. I want Bacula
> incremental to backup the moved files in the new folder, and removed (as
> in Accurate) them from the old folders. How does Dovecot maintain the
> date time attributes on the files, and does Bacule see the transactions
> properly. I fear that Dovecot might not change the time stamps, and
> Bacula incremental dies not see the messages.

Dovecot copies the file from folder1 to folder2, changes the mtime of
the file in folder2 to match the original file, and then renames the
original file in folder1 to flag it as deleted but not yet purged. This
means that both files will have their ctime updated and an incremental
will back both up. Of course, if the user purges the folder then the
original file in folder1 will be deleted, and in that case the deletion
will be handled by Accurate=Yes.

Dovecot doesn't much care about filesystem times because it encodes
date/time, flags, and whatever it cares about into the actual name of
the file.