Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] expand Since Time on Client Run Before Job

2013-02-08 16:15:33
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] expand Since Time on Client Run Before Job
From: stefano scotti <scottistefano91 AT gmail DOT com>
To: yashmika lamahewage <yashmika.lamahewage AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2013 22:12:10 +0100

2013/2/7 yashmika lamahewage <yashmika.lamahewage AT gmail DOT com>

2013/2/6 stefano scotti <scottistefano91 AT gmail DOT com>

Hi everybody,

i'm trying to pass the since time as a parameter to my client side script before running the job.
the user guide says that the related substitution character is "%s".

now, i know that not every variable expansion can be done on client side, in fact the user guide specifies that list:

    %% = %
%b = Job Bytes
%c = Client's name
%d = Daemon's name (Such as host-dir or host-fd)
%D = Director's name (Also valid on file daemon)
%e = Job Exit Status
%f = Job FileSet (Only on director side)
%F = Job Files
%h = Client address
%i = JobId
%j = Unique Job id
%l = Job Level
%n = Job name
%p = Pool name (Only on director side)
%s = Since time
%t = Job type (Backup, ...)
%v = Volume name (Only on director side)
%w = Storage name (Only on director side)
%x = Spooling enabled? ("yes" or "no")

as you see %s is not only on directory side.
despite of that the expansion occurs correctly only with Run Before Job and not with Client Run Before Job.
with the Client Run it always returns "*none*".
with the server side Run it returns "0000-00-00 00:00:00" while scheduling full backups and the correct relative data when scheduling incremental and differential ones.

i'm using bacula 5.0.2-2.2+squeeze1.

am i missing something or it is just a bug?

thank in advance for your help.

I had that problem too, solved by using ssh in Run Before Job directive which runs on director side.
I followed this deprecated Tips page on section Executing Scripts on a Remote Machine:

http://www.bacula.org/fr/dev-manual/Tips_and_Suggestions.html

With that method i'm able to send the since time on a client side script.
I know that this is not the correct way to achieve that, but at least it works.

I hope that someone can explain why with Client Run Before Job directive the since time is ever translated with the "*none*" string.

Yes, i was thinking about the SSH method too, but it is a workaround, not a solution, and even deprecated.

Nobody can explain us why something so simple has to become so hard?