Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Running one director with mixed db backends / catalogs?

2013-02-06 09:31:37
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Running one director with mixed db backends / catalogs?
From: John Drescher <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2013 09:29:04 -0500
On Wed, Feb 6, 2013 at 8:42 AM, Uwe Schuerkamp
<uwe.schuerkamp AT nionex DOT net> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 05, 2013 at 11:32:51AM -0500, Dan Langille wrote:
>> On 2013-02-05 10:20, Uwe Schuerkamp wrote:
>> >Hi folks,
>> >
>> >we'd like to test a new postgres backend (one catalog for a couple of
>> >clients) to compare it to the existing mysql catalog. Is it possible
>> >to define mixed catalog backends in a single director instance?
>>
>> Not that I know of.
>>
>> Instead, try two instances of bacula one for each database.
>>

> Hi Dan,
>
> thanks for your reply. If this isn't possible, then how can I point
> bacula to a catalog server running on a different machine? Is this an
> enterprise only feature?

The catalog does not need to run on the bacula server. I have had my
database on a different server than the director for over a decade.
Although as far as bacula is concerned for most of this time you could
not compile in support for multiple different database types (mysql,
sqlite, postgres). I believe bacula 5.2.X changed that and now you can
compile in support for more than 1 database although I have never
tested using more than 1 database type. I know you can have more than
1 catalog  though and catalogs can be on any server that is accessible
to the director and storage daemons.

John