Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] static-bacula-fd with GZIP

2013-01-14 12:46:26
Subject: [Bacula-users] static-bacula-fd with GZIP
From: brconflict <brconflict AT gmail DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2013 11:43:37 -0600
Hello,
   I'm relatively new to this, but here's my question. I also apologize, if you see a duplicate email:

How do I compile a static-bacula-fd daemon with the GZIP functionality (does --enable-client-only do this)? Or how can I fix the following warning?

Bacula Console reports successful restore for a Bare-Metal machine, but has a "Warning: GZIP not supported on this client" or similar error. As a result, none of the files are actually restored.

What I'm doing:
1) I placed a compiled static-bacula-fd and bacula-fd.conf ona USB thumb drive.
2) I booted Ubuntu 10.04 LTS Server from CD-R in Rescue a Broken System mode.
3) I dropped to a root prompt without mounting the server's own hard drive or USB drive as the root system. I assume this leaves the OS in memory only.
4) I mounted the USB drive under /mnt/usb, and mounted the freshly formatted hard drive as /mnt/hd.
5) chroot /mnt/usb /static-bacula-fd -c /bacula.conf, which successfully starts the static-bacula-fd daemon.
6) If I go to the Bacula Director in the BAT GUI tool and Status the client. All is OK.
7) I then, Restore some files (nothing specific) to /mnt/hd on the "target" system.

The Console shows the Warning above, and completes the Restore, but the "target" doesn't show the restored files.

NOTE: Nightly Incremental and Full backups do work on this machine with no errors or issues.

Disclaimer: I'm attempting to perform a full restore of a bare-metal system. I tried installing the base Ubuntu 10.0.4 LTS install, then restore the system, but this seems to jack up pam.d which, once I test logging in, kicks me out and I can't even log in as root.

Thanks in advance!
Brian