Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] backup vs restore performance

2013-01-14 09:17:44
Subject: [Bacula-users] backup vs restore performance
From: Steve Thompson <smt AT vgersoft DOT com>
To: Bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2013 08:53:26 -0500 (EST)
Bacula 5.2.10, CentOS 5/6, x86_64.

Just a curiosity. I note that full backup performance across many systems
is typically in the 6-10 MB/sec range; I am using GZIP4 and the backups
are typically compute bound doing software compression (clients are Xeons
in the 3GHz range, and the SD is a 2GHz Xeon system, with all backups done
to disk. The SD is about half a mile distant). However, if I do a restore
of a large volume of data, I get 32-35 MB/sec. Seems a little odd that it
is so asymmetrical.

Steve
Steve Thompson                 E-mail:      smt AT vgersoft DOT com
Voyager Software LLC           Web:         http://www DOT vgersoft DOT com
39 Smugglers Path              VSW Support: support AT vgersoft DOT com
Ithaca, NY 14850
   "186,282 miles per second: it's not just a good idea, it's the law"