Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] restore performance

2013-01-14 09:09:52
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] restore performance
From: Jérôme Blion <jerome.blion AT free DOT fr>
To: Uwe Schuerkamp <uwe.schuerkamp AT nionex DOT net>, John Drescher <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>, "Novosielski, Ryan" <novosirj AT umdnj DOT edu>, bacula-users <Bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2013 15:07:23 +0100
Le 2013-01-14 14:32, Uwe Schuerkamp a écrit :
> On Mon, Jan 14, 2013 at 08:24:07AM -0500, John Drescher wrote:
>> > I just ran into this. After a Google search, I turned up an
>> article that
>> > says the indices that used to make Bacula run faster now cause a
>> performance
>> > problem with recent versions of Bacula and recent versions of
>> MySQL (it's on
>> > the Bacula wiki, the address for which I don't have handy). I
>> removed all of
>> > the indices I had on the file table and restores only take a few
>> minutes
>> > now.
>>
>> Even though you have a tiny database I would still look into tuning
>> your mysql settings. A lot of distributions ship with a ridiculous
>> default configuration that assumes your PC has 64MB of ram or
>> similar.
>>
>> John
>>

> I'd like to have the above point clarified by the people in the know:
> Are File table indices recommended with bacula versions  > 5.0 or
> not?
> Can the original poster provide a link to the article mentioned
> above?
>
> Thanks, Uwe
>
> --
> NIONEX --- Ein Unternehmen der Bertelsmann SE & Co. KGaA

Hello,

Did you have a look on that?
http://wiki.bacula.org/doku.php?id=faq#restore_takes_a_long_time_to_retrieve_sql_results_from_catalog

dbcheck creates 2 indexes. If interrupted, these two indexes can have a
very big impact on times to perform actions related to these tables
(backup AND restores)

Your catalog is quite small, anyway, did you schedule to run a dbckeck
periodically?

Best regards.
Jerome Blion.