Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Plans for support block-based dedupe?

2013-01-04 05:17:15
Subject: [Bacula-users] Plans for support block-based dedupe?
From: tonyalbers <bacula-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 04 Jan 2013 02:14:36 -0800
Hi Silver,

The downside of client-side dedupe is actually a combination of several things.

1. The client does the dedupe calculations etc. this means that it takes CPU
resources on the client which it might not have.
2. Sometimes, client-side dedupe is chosen because of bandwidth limitations to
the backup server (remote offices etc). In case of a large restore all files
will have to be sent from the backup server to the client anyway, and this can
be almost impossible because of the time it will take. That's the RTO side of
it.
3. Partial restores can only be made to the client that did the backup, not to
another client if necessary(redirected recover).

There are probably more, but these are just what I can think of straight away.

/tony