Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Plans for support block-based dedupe?

2013-01-04 04:33:17
Subject: [Bacula-users] Plans for support block-based dedupe?
From: tonyalbers <bacula-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 04 Jan 2013 01:30:31 -0800
Ok, it seems to me that there is some confusion of which kind of dedupe I'm
referring to.

What I'm talking about is variable-length block-based target dedupe, that is,
the DXi or DataDomain box receives all data from the client via the backup
server (bacula SD) and then handles the deduplication and compression of these
data. There is no dedupe or compression on the client or backup server itself
of any sort.

This does not work in practice right now, since bacula does something to the
backup stream that makes most of the blocks or segments unique.

I've tried this on a DXi and on a fileserver using SDFS, and both had only 5%
data reduction after running three 6GB backups of the same filesystem on a
client. In theory that should give us at least 66% data reduction ratio.

Please bear in mind that target dedupe is pretty much the industry standard,
since RTO plays a huge role in deciding what type of backup and storage to use.

/tony