Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Re-2: Sending spooled attrs to the Director takes a long time

2012-10-31 20:08:53
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Re-2: Sending spooled attrs to the Director takes a long time
From: Phil Stracchino <alaric AT metrocast DOT net>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2012 20:04:54 -0400
On 10/31/12 18:26, lst_hoe02 AT kwsoft DOT de wrote:
> Zitat von Carsten Pache <pache AT vgr-gruppe DOT de>:
>> I do not remember that I had to change the defaut database
>> configuration when I installed Bacula 5.0.3 two years ago. So which
>> config file do you mean? Can you give me some hints what I should
>> change in this file? My Bacula server has 2 GB RAM.
>
> For a high insert rate you normaly have to extend the size or number
> of redo logs. For MySQL this might be possible in /etc/my.cnf or the
> like but i don't use MySQL so you have to RTFM.

Only applicable to InnoDB tables, but then you ARE using InnoDB, not
MyISAM ....  right?  *Right?*

- Stop MySQL.
- Move [mysql data directory]/ib_logfile* somewhere else.
- Edit /etc/my.cnf to change innodb_log-file-size and
innodb_log_files_in_group.
- Restart MySQL.  Wait while it prepares the new log files.
- Check the MySQL error log to make sure InnoDB started up correctly.

Don't go hog wild.  The performance gain from increasing the size of
InnoDB log files isn't all that dramatic, and largely comes from
increasing the interval between checkpoints, but it also increases the
time taken for checkpoints.  If you really badly need more MySQL
performance, you're probably much better off updating to a newer MySQL
branch and learning how to tune it properly.  MySQL 5.6 should go
general-availability any time now, and has still further performance
gains over 5.5.

That said, unless your Bacula catalog is on a separate machine from your
Director, 2GB isn't very much RAM for a machine that's running both your
Director and your catalog DB.  Especially since in my experience, most
servers running 2GB of RAM or less are also usually running a 32-bit OS
even if they're on 64-bit-capable hardware.

co.ordinate DOT org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.