Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Splitting a job into two parallel jobs

2012-10-31 19:31:39
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Splitting a job into two parallel jobs
From: Chris Adams <cmadams AT hiwaay DOT net>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2012 18:25:18 -0500
Once upon a time, lst_hoe02 AT kwsoft DOT de <lst_hoe02 AT kwsoft DOT de> said:
> What about using more than one snapshot? If done right snapshots are
> cheap, so you should have no problem to take a snapshot/mount per job
> to get two jobs running. But i doubt you will gain much with parallel
> backups on one filesystem/io-channel anyway.

I'll have to check the space (not sure it is available right now).

I do know that my old backup software did run the same backup (with
parallel trees) somewhat faster (and that was to tape rather than disk).

> Currently with VSS you have a limit of one job per windows machine
> running, as we already find out :-(

I thought that might be the issue.  I may be able to work around this by
not using VSS for these particular trees, at least for testing.

> But as said if you don't have independent io-channels or you are CPU
> bound (data encryption) you won't gain very much by running more than
> one job concurrently.

I used multiple parallel trees with my previous backup software, in part
because it seemed to have a high overhead with lots of files (one of
these servers has a Maildir store with a couple of million files).
Those backups did finish faster (as part of my overall network backup to
tape) than my current test backups (just running a single job to disk,
with an upgraded backup server and upgraded switches in-between the
servers).  That's what got me looking at trying to run parallel jobs
with Bacula (at least to test out the speed to see if it helped).

Thanks.
--
Chris Adams <cmadams AT hiwaay DOT net>