Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Retention vs Job Policy -- In Bacula

2012-10-25 14:07:52
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Retention vs Job Policy -- In Bacula
From: Dan Langille <dan AT langille DOT org>
To: Michael Namaiandeh <mnamaiandeh AT healthcit DOT com>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2012 14:05:20 -0400
On 2012-10-25 13:55, Dan Langille wrote:
> On 2012-10-24 13:26, Michael Namaiandeh wrote:
>> Can someone please explain to me what is the difference between
>> Retention Policy and Job Policy?
>
> I can't find any reference to 'Job Policy' in the Bacula
> documentation.
>
> What do you mean by that?
>
>> Currently, I have a retention policy of 2 months and a job policy of
>> 13 days.
>
> Retention refers to meta data.  Specifically, what Files were backed
> up
> on
> what Clients, by what Jobs, and to what Volumes.  Retention does not
> refer
> to how long backups are kept, but they are related.  See later.  This
> meta-data
> is retained in the Catalog (the database).

I forgot to explain 'later'.

 From something I wrote a while back:
http://dan.langille.org/2010/02/08/bacula-retention-periods/

"Volumes are eligible for recycling once ALL retention periods have
passed."

Once a Volume has been recycled, and this is only done when Bacula has
no where else to write,
that Volume can now be overwritten by a new job.  Once that overwriting
occurs, that's when the backups
are no longer available.

Even if all retention periods have passed, the data can be recovered
using tools such as bls, bextract, and bestore.

Hope that helps.  You probably have more questions than before. :)

--
Dan Langille - http://langille.org/